Express Your Support for SB 941
Write a letter to the editors of The Ashland Daily Tidings and tell them that YOU demand common-sense gun laws to reduce gun violence in Oregon!
1. Start with your values and your personal story.
Why does this matter to you? Have you been touched by gun violence in some way, or do you have experience helping people cope with gun violence? Does it matter to you as a parent, citizen, member of a faith community, teacher, healthcare provider, veteran, gun owner, or community advocate?
2. Share one or two compelling facts.
- About 40 percent of gun sales go through private, unlicensed dealers.
- The lack of background checks makes it too easy for felons and domestic abusers to purchase guns privately.
- 40,000 to 75,000 guns are sold annually in Oregon without a background check.
- The Internet has made arranging private sales easier.
- Most Oregon voters support background checks (87 percent), including those who own guns (83 percent).
- In states with comprehensive background checks:
- 48 percent fewer on-duty police officers are shot and killed,
- 46 percent fewer women are shot and killed by their intimate partners, and
- 48 percent fewer people commit suicide with guns.
- California and Washington require background checks for private sales.
- Oregon background checks cost $10 and are usually completed in less than five minutes over the phone by the OR State Police.
3. Close with a call to action: Ask legislators to vote yes to close the private gun sales loophole/ to require background checks for all gun sales.